BREAKFAST.

Monday, July 27, 2015


Overnight Oats in a Jar

Overnight Oats, especially Oats in a Jar is getting kind of popular on Pinterest and Instagram these days. Apparently this kind of cold yogurt and oatmeal mixture has been around for quite awhile. Before I dish out this insanely easy time saving recipe, I’m going to get right to it and tell you how I feel about breakfast.

I could eat breakfast all day, everyday, and by breakfast, I meant none of that cereal and milk or toast with jam business. I’m talking about waffles, eggs benedict, sausages, or even char tao kueh, wanton noodles and chicken horfun. That is just how I roll.

But sadly, I can’t make these types of epic meals every morning as I have to get up early for work. But, breakfast as you know is essential to providing our bodies with the energy we need to get through our busy days. This is where the overnight oatmeal idea comes in handy. Not only is it easy to prepare but also healthy !
This isn’t necessarily a recipe, but more of a guide – I’m going to lay out the canvas and then you get to decide the flavours, textures and amount that best suits you. Before you go to bed, all you need is a food container, oats and milk handy. This is your base. Then you can throw in your favourite fruit combinations, sweetener and spices whatsover.

 
 

I have been having oats for breakfast for quite awhile now and I personally like my oats thick and clumpy yet creamy at the same time but after much trial and error with the proportion, I am still unable to achieve the consistency that I wanted.

Here are the ingredients for the oatmeal I made with the directions..

Classic Overnight Oats with Fruits

Ingredients: 
1/3 cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup of skim milk or coconut water (you can adjust your liquids for a different consistency)
3 tablespoon of low fat greek yogurt (it can be plain or flavored) 
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional, only for those that needs abit of flavouring to you OOIAJ) 
1/3 cup of berries or any fruits/toppings of your choice 

Directions: 
Pour rolled oats, milk or coconut water, yogurt into jar
Put lid on jar and shake until well combined
Remove lid, add fruits/toppings and stir until mixed throughout
Screw on lid tightly and refrigerate overnight or as long as 2-3 days

Best serve chilled.

Some other variations that I am looking forward to try,

Post a Comment